Skip to main content

Colourpop Series #3: Give it To Me Straight Palette Swatches & Review

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Hey Ladies! I hope everyone is doing well. I am so giddy and excited! It is my first time to try an eye shadow palette from Colourpop. Yes, I know I’m a bit late on reviewing this, but it’s not stopping me from sharing what I humbly think that may actually help, so here it goes..
My recent big purchase from Colourpop led me to buy these 4 Eye Shadow Palettes …
Two are on the list of Best Sellers and the other two are part of the collaboration of Colourpop with one of my favorite Youtube influencer, Kathleen Lights.

The palette retails for $16 US (58.76 UAE Dirham) (839 Philippine Peso)  plus tax if you are buying from US and plus Customs Duties outside US.  Palette   contains 12 colors which are mostly in warm coppers and rich mauves which actually complements medium skin tone very much, and I believe light and dark skin tones as well.  
Yesterday I left late morning for a weekend get together with my girlfriends and I used this palette for the first time. I applied the eye shadow directly on my skin without any primer nor a concealer to see how it performs on its own.  This is how I try eye makeup for the first time; I believe that this will show the true performance of the product.

Upon first application, the color payoff was so vibrant on bare skin.  Even though these are pressed powders, they seem to be melting into the skin. I was actually surprised on how pigmented they are. You have to be careful on dipping your brush on the palette because the product gets picked up easily. I suggest a small light dab first and tap off the excess before applying onto your eyes.

The shadows are so soft and  because of this a brush can pick-up a lot of the product and may cause fall outs. This will depend on your application, and I don’t mind that this happens considering the price you pay for it. Honestly,  I don’t know why this becomes a big deal to many because for me what is important is the color pay-off, performance and longevity, as long as it does the job, we don’t need to be petty on things like fall outs.

I wore the makeup for almost 11 hours straight and upon checking on my eye makeup when I got home, I was impressed on how it stayed so well on me. No caking, no smudging, maybe a very slight fading for the shimmers that I placed on top  but it was very slight that it actually didn’t matter. What was impressive was my eye makeup still looked pretty I did not even want to remove it.
I took a quick photo before removing my makeup, again this is after 11-hours upon application..
After 11 hours applied with no primer on bare skin
Honestly this photo does not justify how vibrant the makeup stayed.. but as you can see, no smudging, no caking whatsoever.. and again.. applied with no primer.
The following day, I decided to swatch all the colors to see how each one performs and here are my swatches for the first row..
Natural light..
Matter of Fact, Up Front, Straight Up, BS
With flash..
Matter of Fact, Up Front, Straight Up, BS
Second Row..
Natural light..
Frank, Candid, Forthright, Downright
With Flash..
Frank, Candid, Forthright, Downright
Third Row…
Natural light..
Truth Hurts, Be Blunt, TMI, Actually
With Flash..
Truth Hurts, Be Blunt, TMI, Actually
Impressive colors aren’t they? I noticed that the  matte shadows when rubbed-off on  skin has a little bit of sheen on it that it almost looked slightly satin and the shimmer shadows are softer. Both very pigmented and blendable except for one the darkest color –ACTUALLY- is a little bit difficult to blend when I swatched on my hand. I  still have to try it on my lids before I give my final thoughts on it.

I tried using the palette again the following day and this is the simple look I came up with..
Face: NYX Angel Veil Primer, Hourglass Vanish Seamless Finish Liquid Foundation, Laura Mercier Translucent Powder, Too Faced Born This Way Multi-Use Sculpting Concealer
Cheeks: Houglass Ambient Powder Blush and Bronzer, Physician’s Formula Butter Bronzer
Highlighter: Colourpop Wisp & Here Kitty Kitty
Lips: Colourpop Disney Crème Lux Lipstick Ariel

Shimmer shadows are best applied with your hands, but even when using a flat brush, it still applies well compared to other shimmer shadows I’ve tried from other brands. Still yet to try them wet but I can already tell they will perform well too. 

My thoughts…

Overall I can say that I am very impressed on how these shadows perform. As the first palette we have tried from Colourpop, Give it to me Straight- set the bar high for the other palettes we have yet to try.  I am looking forward to trying the other palettes. If you are eyeing to purchase this palette, I'd say go for it. If you are a makeup lover  in search of a new palette to add your collection, you should have this. If you're a makeup beginner, this palette is something I would recommend to start with. 

As always if you have some questions, please feel free to leave a comment below.

Till our next review..
This is your non-professional makeup artist and certified makeup addict..

CARMI

Comments