Skip to main content

[ARchicTECT Baking Adventure #04] Japanese Cotton Cheesecake Challenge

Hey guys! What's up with everyone? How's summer treating you so far? 

This may be the best season for other countries because of the opportunity to do more activities outside without battling rain or cold. It is quite the opposite here in middle east.

Summer is difficult when you live in a desert. It gets scorching hot!!!! This is the time when we spend more time indoors to protect ourselves from the heat. 

This is why I've been doing a lot of baking!!! 

I've always loved baking since I was young. I remember the weekends when my mom would ask me to bake something that we can have as a snack for afternoon weekends. I would then have my demanding brothers go back and forth in the kitchen to ask if what I'm making was ready. lol!  

Now I've put my baking to the next level and been trying out more complicated recipes and so far I am enjoying the challenge :) 

Few weekends ago, I made Japanese Cotton Cheesecake and here are the ingredients:

-228g cream cheese in room temperature
-200ml milk
-60g butter
-6 eggs separated
-140g sugar
-60g flour
-20g corn starch


By the way, I got this recipe from Baking with Mi on Youtube. I am currently subscribed on her channel because she makes the yummiest things! I also like how she makes things look so easy which encourages you to bake. She inspired me to make French Macarons!

1. Whisk cream cheese, and milk on a bowl.. placing the bowl on top of hot water makes it easier to whisk. Set aside.
2. Add butter on mixture and mix well.
3. Separate the eggs (yolks & whites) in two bowls.
4.Whisk half of the sugar on the egg yolk until it becomes fluffy in texture with a lemon yello color.
5. Fold together the cream cheese mixture and egg yolk mixture
6. Sift the flour and cornstarch into the mixture
This is how your mixture should look like. Set aside.
7. Put partial amount of sugar on egg yolks and start beating with a whisk. Others might prefer to use a mixer with this one but as advised by Mi, I will be whisking with hand to have more control of the egg whites. We want soft peaks meringue. 
8. Whisk and add sugar gradually. Repeat this step until you've mixed all the sugar in. 
9. Continue whisking until you form soft peaks. Make sure that your meringue folds back on a curl when you whip it up. This is the consistency we are looking for.
10. Fold 1/3 of the meringue mixture onto our cream cheese mixture at a time.Make sure to be really gentle since we dont want to lose the fluffiness that will give our cake the cotton-like texture.

11. Line your pan with parchment. I am using a springform cake pan that's why I had to wrap the bottom of it with 3 layers of aluminum foil to prevent water from seeping in since we will be cooking this baby on a water bath.
12. Pour the cheesecake batter onto our pan and make sure to tap it on your table/counter to get rid of bubbles/air within the mixture.
13. We will cook it on a water bath, about an inch of hot water then inside the oven at 150C for about 70mins. Check your cake with a toothpick from time to time. 
14. Once your cake is cooked, leave it inside the oven to cool down. Put a wooden spatula between the door of your oven to gradually let out steam and slowly cool down your cake to prevent it from collapsing.
15. Viola! Your Japanese Cotton Cheesecake!!
I actually placed the cake back in the oven to bake for a few more minutes until the top becomes brown in color. My mistake was forgetting to take the photo of the finished product. We were just too excited to try it!

It was fun and relaxing to make this beautiful cheesecake. Chief loved it. I like that it is not very sweet. I hope you guys had fun reading and hopefully inspired you also to bake. 

Until my next post..

CIAO!

-CARMI

Comments